Forest Education - Scholarships
COFI Annual Forest Education Scholarships
In 2007, the Council of Forest Industries established a series of scholarships intended to encourage the next generation of leaders to choose a professional, technical or trades career in the forest sector.
Ten $1,500 entrance scholarships will be offered each fall to students planning to undertake post-secondary studies leading to a career in the forest sector.
To be eligible for this scholarship, students must be planning to attend any one of the ten post-secondary educational institutions in the interior of BC, enrolling in professional, technical or trades studies leading to a career in the forest sector.
Eligible institutions include:
- College of New Caledonia
- College of the Rockies
- Nicola Valley Institute of Technology
- Northern Lights College
- Northwest Community College
- Okanagan College
- Selkirk College
- Thompson Rivers University
- UBC Okanagan
- University of Northern BC
As these are entrance scholarships, preference will be given to students entering a program of study for the first time. This may include high school graduates, mature students or students changing programs. Recipients of the award need to show academic success as well as clear career goals.
2016 Scholarship Recipients
- Bradley Wickson, Smithers Secondary School, Smithers
- Kaylee Walstrom, Fort St, James Secondary, Fort St. James
- Kent Fehr, Nechako Valley Secondary, Vanderhoof
- Like Friesen, Grand Forks Secondary, Grand Forks
- Philp Gust, Smithers Secondary, Smithers
- Connor Hawes, Grand Forks Secondary, Grand Forks
- James Fairhurst, Sparwood Secondary, Sparwood
- Mark Schmaltz, Clarence Fulton Secondary, Vernon
- Micah May, LV Rodgers, Bonnington
- Teagan Ligtenberg, South Kamloops Secondary, Kamloops
The 2017 COFI Annual Forest Education Scholarship Application – download here.
All applications must include:
- Written letter of intent
- Two letters of reference
Application Deadline is March 31st, 2017. No late applications will be reviewed.
For more information, contact: Jim Costley, COFI Forest Education Manager or call 250-612-2919