Industry Info - Economic Impact
Forestry is a key economic driver, a major employer and provider of thousands of jobs in numerous sectors. Communities depend on our industry. We are a world leader in sustainable stewardship and are innovating to create new products and market opportunities.
A joint report on the economic impact of the industry to British Columbia was prepared by MNP and commissioned by COFI, Coast Forest Products Association, Interior Lumber Manufacturers’ Association and the BC Lumber Trade Council.
Highlights of the report include:
- The BC forest industry contributes $12 billion annually to the provincial GDP.
- BC is the largest producer of softwood lumber in Canada (52%).
- 145,000 jobs in BC depend on a healthy forest industry.
- 1 in 16 jobs in BC is tied to the forest industry, and 40% of BC’s regional economies are dependent on forestry.
- BC is the largest producer of bioenergy in North America.
- 23% of all rail traffic in BC is forest products.
- 8.5% of all cargo through Port Metro Vancouver is forest products.
- 60% of all BC Hydro’s industrial revenues come from the forest industry.